|Make a simple quilt top with a preprinted panel.
You can help your child make a simple quilt top by using a preprinted panel as the center. Make the quilt top the size you want by adding one or more borders.
There are many cute panels available and most are part of a line of fabrics designed for mixing and matching.
So shop online or pay a visit to your local quilt shop or fabric store today!
What you will need:
- preprinted panel
- fabric for the borders
- scissors, measuring tape and straight pins
- sewing machine and thread
- iron and ironing board
Select and Prepare the Panel and Other Fabrics
- Choose a preprinted panel and coordinating fabrics for the borders.
- Prewash and dry all the fabrics, including the panel.
- Iron the panel and border fabrics. WARNING! This is an adult-only job!
- Trim the edges of the panel even and square, if necessary.
Add One or More Borders to the Panel
- Measure the panel sides and cut two border strips in the desired width to this length.
- Sew a border strip to each side of the panel with a ¼-inch seam and press the borders away from the panel, neat and flat.
- Measure across the top and bottom of the panel, including the side borders.
- Cut two border strips in the desired width to this length and sew them to the top and the bottom of the panel with ¼-inch seams.
- Press the top and bottom borders away from the panel, neat and flat.
- Repeat this process with other border fabrics until the quilt top reaches the desired finished size.
Congratulations - your quilt top is done!
Please note: Simple tutorials for finishing your quilt are coming soon and links to those articles will be added here.